Saturday, July 3, 2010

BooK Review: Long Walk to Freedom


 Just finished reading the autobiography of Nelson Mandela. The book is named "Long Walk to Freedom "

Nelson Mandela is truly an epitome of inspiration and needs no introduction. He has sacrificed his life of the independence struggle of South Africa. He aspires people to become great. A person who truly believes that for a nation to flourish each individual must exceed their own expectation.

The book takes us through his childhood to the point of his appointment as the  president of a free county. The book clearly shows that all of us have choice. We are the creators of our own destiny. 

In the book he mentions that while he was in prison for 27 years there were some moments when he questioned himself weather he was correct in choosing his country over his family. His agony can be seen from the following lines in the book, " A mother's death causes a man to look back on and evaluate his own life. Her difficulties, her poverty, made me question once again whether I had taken the right path. That was always the conundrum: Had I made the right choice in putting people's welfare even before that of my own family? For a long time, my mother had not understood my commitment to the struggle. My family had not asked for or even wanted to be involved in the struggle, but my involvement penalized them."

The fact that inspired me the most is that ever after achieving independence he has not stopped and has involved himself into the daunting task of building a nation.

His involvement for the cause of nation building is evident from the last few lines of this 768 page book. He says toward the end " But I can rest only for a moment, for with freedom come responsibilities, and I dare not linger, for my long walk is not yet ended."  

If you ever wondered what made a man great read this book and you will know for yourself.

No comments: